|Seaton Parish Council|
Seaton is a civil parish created by the Local Government Act 1894 & is one of the largest villages in England, with a population of around 5,000 people. It is situated to the north east of the town of Workington, to which it is connected via bridges over the River Derwent, & forms part of the Borough of Allerdale. In contemporary times, it is largely a residential area, but has a history stretching back prior to Medieval times.
Historically, the village consisted of High Seaton & Low Seaton, with Low Seaton generally forming the oldest part of the village, but in modern times, many housing estates have been developed, with social housing dating back to the 1950's & private housing estates following later.
Seaton has a long history of mining & farming, & whilst there is little trace of modern industry, the Seaton Iron Works, established in 1762, was once a major concern, employing hundreds of people, up until 1857. The establishment of the Workington steel industry in the 1800's led to a large population increase, & whilst this is no longer a major industry, the village continues to function as a dormitory settlement.
In terms of amenities, Seaton has a small number of local shops, located centrally in the village, two churches, two schools, a library & a petrol station. There are two public houses & two clubs, one supporting the local rugby league team, Seaton Rangers. There are a number of local sporting & other clubs, & the Village Hall supports a thriving recreational entertainment base. There are two play areas & a sports field, & an abundance of footpaths in the surrounding countryside. The former railway track has now been converted to a cycle track, which links to the national network.